Do you see the following error on your nopCommerce site?
We're sorry, an internal error occurred.
Our supporting staff has been notified of this error and will address the issue shortly.
We apologize for the inconvenience.
Please try clicking your browsers 'back' button or try reloading the home page.
If you continue to receive this message, please try again in a little while.
Thank you for your patience.
What does "an internal error" mean?
An internal error is just a generic way of saying that something is broken. From this message, nobody knows exactly what is broken or how to fix it.
Why doesn't it have more details?
Sometimes you go to a site that's broken, and it gives you a big red box with a bunch of goobly gop that says what the exact error is. This is actually fairly dangerous since it reveals some potentially sensitive information about how the site works. There have been a few times when I click around the internet and realize that I can delete their database by entering something malicious in their form. You don't want to let your users know that you have that kind of vulnerability on your site. That's why the message is so vague.
How do I get the details?
There are a few ways to get the details of the message.
If this is isolated to just a few pages or actions of your site, you can grab the error message from your logs.
If everything is broken and you can't load any pages at all, then you will need to grab the error message from the Windows Event Viewer or turn on Debug Mode.
How do I get the error message from the logs?
- Go to your nopCommerce Administration section.
- Go to System -> Log
- Find the log entry that happened around the same time that the error occurred. This may be off by a few minutes depending on how synchronized your clocks are. It may also be off by a few hours if your timezone is not set correctly.
- Click the View button to see the details
What information is relevant when I get help?
If you're going to ask someone for help, the following fields are helpful:
- Short message - This is often included in the full message as well, but sometimes it says something different.
- Full message - This looks like goobly gook, but every line here has meaning. Please copy all of it. This is the most important part.
- Page URL - This helps to know which page the error occurred on. You can remove the domain if you're posting on a public forum.
- Referrer URL - This helps put context around the error.
Where can I go for help?
If you have a developer that is working on your site, ask him/her to fix it. That's what you're paying him for. =)
If this is related to a functionality that you added through a plugin, ask the author of the plugin for help. This is especially true if it's a paid plugin. Anyone you're paying is more likely to help you than someone who you're not paying. =)
If you're not paying anyone, then you can post on the nopCommerce Community forums and hope for the best. Nobody is getting paid to answer your questions, so expect to wait at least a day if not a few days for someone to help, if he/she decides to help.